Tips for Refreshing Your Aging Parent’s Fall Wardrobe to Simplify Their Lives and Your Care
Senior Care in Elizabeth NJ
Getting dressed in the morning is something that you likely do not put much thought into. You simply get up, select your clothing, and go ahead with your day. Your elderly parent, however, might not be able to approach this task quite as easily. They could face a variety of challenges and limitations that can make choosing their daily clothing and getting them on much more difficult. This can be frustrating and upsetting for them, diminishing their sense of independence and their quality of life. As their family caregiver it is important that you find ways to help them make this process smoother and more accessible so that they can feel more confident in their daily lives.
Use these tips to refresh your aging parent’s fall wardrobe to simplify their lives and their care:
• Eliminate difficult closures. Elderly adults might struggle with pain, stiffness, and loss of range of motion in their hands. This can make it difficult for them to use closures such as zippers and small buttons. They might also have difficulty reaching around to use closures at the back of clothing. Look for garments with Velcro, elastic, or snaps, and that only have closures in the front of the clothing.
• Choose basic colors. Especially if your elderly parent is dealing with cognitive challenges, it can be difficult for them to put together appropriate outfits. Help to make this less confusing and upsetting for them by choosing basic colors that are easy to mix and match. Consider choosing a few “special” pieces that they can use to enhance their look for holidays or outings and keep them stored somewhere else so that they are available but do not confuse your parent.
• Replace their shoes. The autumn is a great time to replace your aging parent’s shoes. The weather changes can include unexpected rain and other slippery conditions. Making sure that their shoes fit properly, have good grips on the bottom, and are easy to get in to make it much easier for your parent to maintain independence in their self-care while also helping to reduce their risk of suffering a serious fall while outside or coming in from slippery conditions.
The change in seasons is the perfect time for you to consider senior care for your aging loved one. As you are changing their routine, freshening up their home and lifestyle, and taking steps to improve your care, hiring a senior home care services provider is a fantastic supplement for these efforts. This care provider is with your parent on a fully customized schedule that takes into consideration not just your parent’s care needs, but also their personality, beliefs, and care goals. This also means that the care efforts that you are able to give to your parent are kept in mind, enabling you to stay at the forefront of their care journey while feeling confident that they are getting everything that they need whenever you are not able to be with them.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Elizabeth, NJ, please contact the caring staff at Care Street Home Care of New Brunswick today. Call (732) 607-8870.
- Challenges the Elderly May Face Every Day - March 10, 2023
- Signs Your Senior Loved One Needs Personal Care At Home - April 29, 2022
- What Do You Know About Common Geriatric Health Issues? - April 5, 2019